Bristol to Barrie

Having served 22+ years service with the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers (REME), we're planning a new life in pastures new. This is an account of our immigration journey, from UK to Canada, beginning to end.

Search This Blog

Monday 25 May 2009

Completing the paperwork

I suppose a good a place to start as any is at the beginning, which in our case is the considerable paperwork that goes with the territory of emigrating to Canada. In true military fashion, our 'unit' comprises: Platoon Commander (Julie), Platoon Sergeant (moi) and Charlie Fire Team (Scott, Jordan, Amber & Poppy).


It’s always a bonus trying to remember dates and addresses from the 14 different Army units and 12 homes which we've lived at over the past 20 odd years. I can see getting the Police checks done (if they accept us) is going to be interesting.

This 'dream' materialised after spending a wonderful year posted to Alberta as part of my job in the British Army. With only 2 years to push until I hit the big 40 and they pension me off, the prospects of starting a new life in UK Civvie Street isn't exactly looking like a rosy future filled with golden opportunities. The thinking is if we have to starts a new life from scratch, i.e. new job, new home etc then why not do it in another country. So here we are at the very beginning with the 2 year countdown clock ticking away until June 2011 when, if all goes to plan, 'D' Day will be upon us.

Here's what will hopefully be our last UK home:


Being the 'careful' type (not to be confused with tight-fisted) I didn't fancy employing the services of a 'Representative' so it was Shanks' pony today. Anyway, it's not exactly rocket science so after many hours tapping away at the keyboard there's a pile of papers ready to sign. I can now visit the bank tomorrow to sort out how I muster up a Canadian cheque to the tune of C$1,700 (isn't it great having 4 children).

For those that are interested, I am applying under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) scheme as a Heavy-Duty Mechanic (7312). My Army trade is Mechanical Engineer so it lends itself to the background. I don't have an offer of employment yet but it is early days - for now, I'm more concerned with getting the application process on the go. I have applied to enlist in the Canadian Forces (CF) in the same trade as I am now - the application went in a couple of moths ago and there is initial interest. The CF is now assessing my background and qualifications (called a Prior Learning Assessment) to see if I have something to offer. I should hear back within a couple of months as to whether they're going to offer me a place or not.

Anyway, next stop the bank…..

No comments: