Bristol to Barrie

Having served 22+ years service with the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers (REME), we're planning a new life in pastures new. This is an account of our immigration journey, from UK to Canada, beginning to end.

Search This Blog

Saturday 25 September 2010

1st anniversary of my Dad passing away



Today is a sad day as it marks the 1st anniversary of my Dad passing away. If anything, the grief I feel now is probably worse than the period after he died. The initial sadness was bad enough, but afterwards I felt almost relieved and liberated. My Dad was a very dominant character and as an only child I'd always felt the pressure to attain his approval; after he'd gone that pressure eased and I briefly felt a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Today that feeling has passed and I now miss not being able to ask for his advice and ironically to run things by him to see if he approves; to coin a military term, my 'top cover' has gone. I guess this feeling will pass with time but rather than getting easier, today I find looking at his photos harder than ever, the sense of sadness brings a tear to my eye more so than ever before.



I miss my Dad and I wonder if life will ever feel right without him......

No comments: